Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Who's in Charge?

Admittedly, it was pure intuition and inspiration that led me to create Rock River Cafe: A Fresh Expression of Local Cuisine. I have a masters degree in business administration and have worked for successful, struggling, growing, shrinking, reworking organizations over the years. You'd think I would know better than to listen to my gut so whole-heartedly.

No. I don't.

There's a part of my personality (that part of me that joined the U.S. Army) that will jump on a hand grenade for a really good cause.  The time, the place, the moment of me, all seemed so certain that there was nothing else but "A Fresh Expression of Local Cuisine".

And there is. There is a fresh expression growing from the earth, budding with hope, nourishing those who flock to the farm markets desiring to finally be fed... food.

And the room here is empty. I'm holding a megaphone on the back row of the bleacher, pretty much forgotten. If I've learned anything over the course of my life, at the end of the day, the individuals who led a stream of fish in one direction or another can't really matter. Because at the beginning of the day, all that mattered was that goal. There's no need for an appalling goal shift of paying the ego.
I've never been in charge of anything, anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment